Dundalk’s 31 unbeaten game streak in all domestic competitions came to an end over the weekend. They were beaten 2-1 by Bohemian FC in Dalymount Park on Friday evening. Prior to the game, their last defeat had been by Sligo Rovers in April. Luke Wade-Slater and Andre Wright scored their goals with Michael Duffy scoring for Dundalk.

For Bohs, it was a huge win as it has all but assured them of finishing 3rd and with that, qualifying for Europe. Second place side Shamrock Rovers were 1-0 winners against Finn Harps in the Tallaght Stadium courtesy of Greg Bolger, with the game’s only goal in the 79th minute. Cork City finally picked up a win under their new manager Neale Fenn.

They beat bottom side UCD 3-2 in Turner’s Cross – Karl Sheppard, Daire O’Connor and Conor McCormack with their goals, while Dara Keane and Jack Keaney scored for UCD. The Students finished the game with ten men as Liam Kerrigan was sent off in the 86th minute. That result means that Cork have ensured their Premier Division status.

UCD are now all but relegated while Finn Harps will go into the play-offs, and that process has started in the First Divison. In the second leg of their tie, Longford Town welcomed Cabinteely to City Calling Stadium. Their first game in Stradbrook had ended in a goalless draw as it proved difficult to separate the sides in this game as well.

The game finished 1-1 after full and extra time. Paul Fox gave Cabinteely the lead with Aaron Dobbs equalising for Longford. Cabinteely won 3-1 in the resulting penalty shoot-out. They will now take on Drogheda United and the winners will take on Harps. Cabinteely will be home in the first leg which is this coming Friday.

It was a busy weekend for Waterford FC. On Tuesday night they welcomed Sligo Rovers to the Regional Sports Centre. In front of a disappointing crowd of 585, they won 2-0 with Rory Feely and Walter Figueira getting their goals. Then on Friday evening, they travelled to Scotland where they were in action in the fourth round of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup.

Their opponents were Scottish League Two side Stenhousemuir who welcomed them to Ochilview Park. With stoppage time approaching, the sides were level at 2-2. Will Fitzgerald and Michael O’Connor scored for Waterford with Scott McLaughlin and David Hopkirk scoring for Stenhousemuir. It was the hosts who went through as they won 3-2 at the end, Mark McGuigan with the winner in the 94th minute.