They needed penalties to see off First Division side Cabinteely in the First Round of the Extra.ie FAI Cup but Cork City were beaten by another side from the division in the Second Round. Galway United beat them 1-0 with Conor Melody getting the game’s only goal. That means that for the first time in four years there will be a new pairing in the Final as Cork have faced Dundalk in each of the last four deciders.

Among the crowd in Eamonn Deacy Park was Longford Town manager Neale Fenn. He is expected to be named as the new boss of Cork this week. That meant that he wasn’t in Dalymount Park where his side took on Bohemian FC. Longford pushed Bohs all the way with the sides level at 1-1 at the end of extra time. Andre Wright scored for Bohs with Jack Doherty getting the goal for Longford.

It was Bohs who secured their place in the quarter-finals as they won 5-4 on penalties. Holders Dundalk also went to extra time in their tie away to Derry City. They won 3-2 thanks to goals from Daniel Kelly, Daniel Cleary and Georgie Kelly. Greg Sloggett and Darren McCauley scored for Derry. Georgie Kelly got the winner in the 117th minute.

The most notable game of the weekend was in the Showgrounds as Sligo Rovers beat Limerick 6-2. This was a game where Rovers finished with ten men and Limerick with eight and in which Rovers also missed a penalty! Romeo Parkes scored two for Rovers with Ronan Coughlan, Regan Donelon, David Cawley and Kris Twardek getting the others. Karl O’Sullivan scored both goals for Limerick.

UCD put their league woes behind them as they beat St. Patrick’s Athletic 3-1 in the Belfield Bowl. Liam Kerrigan scored twice and Yousef Mahdy scored the other. Conor Clifford pulled a goal back late on for St. Pat’s. Shamrock Rovers who are still waiting for their elusive 25th Cup win booked their place thanks to a comfortable 4-0 win against Drogheda United in the Tallaght Stadium.

Gary O’Neill, Aaron Greene, Aaron McEneff and Sean Kavanagh with the goals. Goals from Michael O’Connor and Cory Galvin gave Waterford a 2-0 win against non-league side Glengad United in McGinn Park. There is one non-league side in the draw for the last eight. Crumlin United beat Lucan United 3-1. Jake Donnelly and Alan McGreal with their goals while the first was an own goal.