The games are coming thick and fast in the SSE Airtricity League with two rounds played over the Easter Bank Holiday in the Premier Division. The most eye-catching fixture was last night as Shamrock Rovers welcomed Bohemian FC to the Tallaght Stadium for the Dublin derby. It did not go well for the home side who lost 1-0 and finished the game with nine men as Bohs beat them for the second time this season. Dinny Corcoran scored the game’s only goal with Trevor Clarke and Lee Grace both being sent off in the first half. Ahead of the Dublin Derby Shams had picked up a valuable three points in the Brandywell as a goal from Aaron Greene gave them a 1-0 win against Derry City.

It was a good few days for Dundalk who picked up six points, they beat Finn Harps 3-0 in Oriel Park and followed that up with a 3-1 win away to UCD in the Belfield Bowl. That made it two defeats out of two for the Students as they had been beaten 3-0 by Bohs in Dalymount Park on Good Friday. For Finn Harps their struggles continue following on from their promotion, they are the only side yet to win a game this season and were also beaten 2-0 by St. Patrick’s Athletic in Finn Park on Easter Monday. They have only two points after their opening eleven games.

St. Pat’s enjoyed a bountiful Easter and made it a North West derby double as on Good Friday they beat Harps’ neighbours Sligo Rovers 2-1 in Richmond Park. Chris Forrester got the first goal for St. Pat’s in that game and it was the pick of the bunch over the weekend, well worth seeking out. Rovers didn’t end the weekend empty handed though as they picked up a point thanks to their goalless draw away to Cork City in Turner’s Cross. Cork are really struggling and are fourth from bottom. They had been beaten 2-0 by Waterford in the Munster Derby heading into the game against Rovers. Waterford enjoyed a decent Easter as well as they beat Cork and drew 2-2 with Derry City in their other game.

A strong way from them to bounce back following the disappointing news the club received when they were told that they won’t be able to be awarded a licence by UEFA to compete in the Europa League qualifiers this season. The issue relates to their previous incarnation as Waterford United; it’s a bitter blow for the club who finished third last season. Their place will now be taken by St. Patrick’s Athletic.

There was only one round of games in the First Division. Longford Town remain unbeaten but were held to a goalless draw by Cobh Ramblers in St. Colman’s Park.  Shelbourne beat Limerick 2-0 in Tolka Park and Cabinteely won by the same score away to Wexford FC. Bray Wanderers were 3-1 winners against Drogheda United in the Carlisle Grounds. Galway United put their recent form behind them by beating Athlone Town 4-0 in the Athlone Town Stadium.