A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the first time I ever saw Sligo Rovers play. And this week with the league still postponed due to the coronavirus I am going to tell of how I got involved in covering Sligo Rovers matches. In a way, I guess it all started when I took a part-time job in Quinnsworth when it was a grocery store chain in Ireland – it ended up being taken over by Tesco. Anyways I was placed in the deli where I got to know Anthony Kilfeather better known to the good people of Sligo as ‘Killer’. He was involved with Rovers; he helped produce the matchday programme and sold them at home games. He was and is one of the first faces that you meet when you come into the Showgrounds. He also has a love for the club that is infectious; it wasn’t long before he had got me involved as well. I started off selling programmes, and then I was part of the programme committee and then used to write the odd piece for the home programmes as well. Then in 1999, I was appointed as commercial manager of the club, it was my first job out of college and was probably too big for me but no way was I going to turn down the chance to work for my hometown club. It was a tough season for the club as they were relegated. The last game of the 99/00 season we were away to Bohemian FC at Dalymount Park. I was going and a day or two before the game I got a call from Anthony Hennigan who was the sports editor of NWR (North West Radio) FM. He asked me would I cover the game for them and provide live updates for the radio. Without giving it much I thought I said I would. We lost 4-1 but it was a neighbour of mine Keith Lynch who scored for Rovers that day. The updates were I would say very basic but I got them done. After that I ended up resigning from my role with Rovers and for a while it dulled my love for the club. But fate can be funny two of my brothers ended up signing for the club. That game in Dalymount had stayed with me as well. I ended up ringing Anthony and asking him could I cover more matches and started off covering Rovers U-21’s matches. From there I was asked to provide match reports for the Sligo Weekender as well for those games. Again it was all very raw but I was very fortunate that good people like Anthony, Tommy Clarke, Robert Cullen and Liam Maloney all took the time to help me and give me pointers about my radio and newspaper work. So for nearly twenty years now I have covered Sligo Rovers matches for local, regional and national media, it has been a great experience and something that I enjoy so much. It is something that I hope to keep doing for another twenty years. One thing I have never fully mastered is being impartial; I always have a natural bias towards the Bit o’Red!