Shamrock Rovers denied Dundalk the domestic treble as they beat them on penalties in the FAI Cup Final which was played in the Aviva Stadium yesterday afternoon. For Shamrock this was their 25th Cup win in their history but their first in 32 years. For Dundalk, who were the holders, they failed to emulate the Derry City side of 1989 who won the Treble.

Shamrock’s win came on penalties. They won the shootout 4-2 after the sides had finished full time and extra time level at 1-1. Shamrock were the better side throughout the game and should have won in normal time. They thought they had it won when they took the lead in the 90th minute. They were awarded a penalty when Aaron Greene was fouled by Dundalk’s keeper Gary Rogers.

Aaron McEneff made no mistake with his kick. Dundalk though showed their mettle to take the game into extra time as Michael Duffy levelled matters in the 93rd minute. Shamrock again shaded extra time but with no further goals, the game went to penalties. Keeper Alan Mannus proved to be the hero as he saved the effort of Daniel Cleary.

Gary O’Neill scored the winning kick to give his side a 4-2 shoot-out win. So Shamrock can celebrate but for Dundalk, their season isn’t over yet. They will next take on NIFL champions Linfield in the inaugural Unite the Union Cup. This is a two-legged affair and the first game is this coming Friday in Windsor Park with the second leg on Monday week in Oriel Park.

Another side whose season isn’t over yet is St. Patrick’s Athletic. They are through to the final of the Leinster Senior Cup after they beat non-league side Sheriff YC 3-1 in Clontarf. They had a side made up mostly of their youth team players. Daniel Dobbins, Kyle Robinson and Kian Corbally scored their goals. Leon Hayes scored for Sheriff. St. Pat’s will now take on Athlone Town in the final which is due to be played in Richmond Park on Wednesday, November 13th.

Finn Harps were also celebrating over the weekend as they have retained their place in the Premier Division thanks to a 2-1 aggregate play-off win against Drogheda United. Drogheda had led 1-0 going into the second leg on Friday evening in Finn Park. However, Harps turned it around as they won 2-0 on the night. Mark Russell and Harry Ashcroft scored their goals.