It was a much improved week results wise for clubs from the SSE Airtricity League but despite that there was only one who progressed.

Cork City exited the qualifiers of the Champions League as they were beaten 3-0 by Legia Warsaw in Poland losing 4-0 on aggregate. They will now come back into the third qualifying round of the Europa League.

Derry City beat Dinamo Minsk 2-1 in Belarus but it wasn’t enough to progress as Dinamo went through on a 3-2 aggregate score. Alistair Roy and Rory Hale scored their goals.

Shamrock Rovers took AIK to extra time in Sweden. They had been beaten 1-0 in Tallaght but won 1-0 over the 90 minutes in the away leg, Daniel Carr with their goal. It was the Swedish side who progressed thanks a goal in the first half of stoppage time from Nicolas Stefanelli.

Dundalk are through to the second qualifying round after a 3-1 aggregate victory over Estonian side Levadia Tallinn. They beat Levadia 2-1 in front of a sold out Oriel Park. Patrick Hoban and Michael Duffy getting their goals. They will now take on Cypriot side AEK Larnaca in the next round with the home leg up first.

After being knocked out of Europe it was a return to league action for Shamrock Rovers who beat Waterford FC 1-0 down in the Regional Sports Centre thanks to a goal from Gary Shaw.

There was good news during the week for both Bray Wanderers and Limerick FC as both sets of players finally got paid during the week after going nearly two months without wages. Bray’s manager Martin Russell who had only been in the job a few weeks stepped down as a result of the club’s financial crisis. They were beaten 6-0 by Bohemian FC in Dalymount Park on Friday evening. Daniel Kelly scored two with Kevin Devaney, Dinny Corcoran, Rob Cornwall and Cristian Magerusan getting the other goals. Limerick put up a better fight against St. Patrick’s Athletic in Richmond Park but ended up being beaten 2-1. Billy Dennehy had given them the lead but the home side ended their seven game losing streak thanks to two goals from Conan Byrne.

It is still UCD who lead the First Division and they were 2-0 winners against Galway United in the Belfield Bowl. Drogheda United remain second thanks to their 2-1 win against bottom side Athlone Town in United Park. Finn Harps and Shelbourne played out a goal-less draw in Finn Park with Longford Town gaining ground on them as they beat Wexford FC 3-0 in the City Calling Stadium. In the remaining game Cabinteely beat Cobh Ramblers 2-0 in Stradbrook.

You can catch up on the previous couple of week’s action here and here.