With the European games mid-week, there were only two games in the Premier Division, both of which failed to produce a goal. UCD picked up their first away point of the season by playing out a goalless draw against Derry City in the Brandywell.

In that game, they gave a debut to Jack Keaney, who joined from Sligo Rovers during the week. He has taken up the offer of a full scholarship and made his name this season with his set pieces. In particular, his free kick against Shamrock Rovers in Rovers 2-1 win in May. He could be joined soon by his former team-mate Liam Kerrigan.

Sligo didn’t wait long to add to their squad as they brought in former Cork City and AFC Fylde defender Danny Kane. He made his debut on Saturday night in the Showgrounds against Waterford FC. There were no goals in that game either. Romeo Parkes had a penalty saved by Waterford keeper Matthew Connor. Rovers finished with ten as Dante Leverock was sent off late in the game.

Longford Town have thrown themselves right back into the mix in the hunt for automatic promotion in the First Division. They beat Drogheda United 2-1 in the City Calling Stadium to leapfrog them into second place in the table. Stephen Meaney had given Drogheda the lead but goals from first Dylan Grimes and then Sam Verdon gave Longford the points.

Leaders Shelbourne were held to a 1-1 draw by Cabinteely in Tolka Park. All the drama came towards the end of the game. Shane Farrell gave Shels the lead in the 79th minute only for Shane Barnes to equalise for Cabo in the 92nd minute. Then four minutes later Shels won a penalty which Conan Byrne took but his effort was saved.

They lead Longford by five points. In a clash of the two relegated sides from last season Bray Wanderers took on Limerick in the Carlisle Grounds. Bray won 1-0 thanks to a goal in first-half stoppage time from Paul Keegan. Bray had to battle late on with ten men, as Killian Cantwell saw red in the 90th minute. Both sides remain just outside the top four.

Managerless Cobh Ramblers beat Athlone Town 2-1 in St. Colman’s Park. Stephen O’Leary and Jamie O’Sullivan scored for Cobh with Patrick Kelly on the mark for Athlone. In the clash of the bottom two sides, it finished 0-0 in Ferrycarrig between Wexford FC and Galway United.