Having already won the League, Shamrock Rovers currently remain on course for the double. They won their Extra.ie FAI Cup quarter-final tie against Finn Harps in Finn Park last Friday evening. Shamrock, who are the holders, came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in the end. Goals from first Barry McNamee and then Stephen Folan had Harps hoping for an upset but Shamrock were given a lifeline in the 51st minute when they were awarded a penalty.

However, Aaron McEneff’s effort was saved. A minute later and Shamrock were awarded another penalty and this time McEneff made no mistake. Three minutes later and Shamrock were again awarded yet another penalty and again McEneff scored. Irish international Graham Burke then scored the winner in the 71st minute. They will now be at home to either Sligo Rovers or Derry City in the semi-finals.

Those two sides had been due to play on last Friday evening, but the game was postponed after a Derry player tested positive for COVID-19. They will meet on Wednesday evening at the Showgrounds. First Division side Athlone Town will take on Dundalk in the other semi-final. Dundalk, who were last year’s beaten finalists, produced one of their best displays of the season as they beat league runners-up Bohemian FC 4-1 in Dalymount Park.

Michael Duffy gave Dundalk the lead with Andre Wright equalising for Bohs. However, the game turned thanks to a quick brace from David McMillan who scored in the 35th and 38th minutes. Bohs were then reduced to 10 in the 72nd minute when Michael Barker was sent off. Nathan Oduwa then wrapped up the scoring for the Lillywhites in the 87th minute.

Shelbourne’s stay in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division has proved to be a short one. First Division champions last season, they have been relegated this yea as they were beaten 1-0 by First Division side Longford Town in the promotion play-off final. The game, which was played in Richmond Park, was a tense affair. Shelbourne played the majority of it with ten men as Luke Byrne was sent off in the 26th minute.

Rob Manley missed the resulting penalty but made no mistake in the second half when he scored the game’s only goal in the 54th minute. Shels have announced that manager Ian Morris will be staying on and he must now start planning for their First Division campaign. Longford on the other hand under Daire Doyle will have to start looking at strengthening their squad as they ready themselves for top-flight football.