Dundalk slipped further behind in the race to defend their Premier Division title as they were beaten 2-1 by Sligo Rovers in the Showgrounds. All the goals came in the first half. Romeo Parkes and Dante Leverock scoring for Rovers either side of a penalty from Pat Hoban for Dundalk. For Sligo Rovers that ended their three-game losing streak while Dundalk have now lost their last two.

It is also the first time since 2012 that Rovers have beaten Dundalk in Sligo. The Lillywhites now slip to fourth and are 13 points behind the leaders Shamrock Rovers. They continued their great run of form by beating Waterford FC 2-1 in the Tallaght Stadium.

Sean Kavanagh and Roberto Lopes scored for Shamrock with Aaron Drinan getting a goal back in stoppage time. Bohemian FC remain second thanks to their hard-fought 1-0 win away against Finn Harps in Ballybofey. Daniel Grant with the game’s only goal.

Derry City maintained their climb up the table and are third. Goals from Greg Sloggett and Darren Cole gave them a deserved 2-0 win against UCD in the Belfield Bowl.

The only draw in the top flight came in the meeting of Cork City and St. Patrick’s Athletic in Turner’s Cross. St. Pat’s had David Webster sent off after half an hour and soon were a goal down as Graham Cummins scored a penalty for Cork. Dean Clarke, however, equalised for St. Pat’s in the 90th minute to earn St Pat’s a last-gasp draw.

Longford Town remain unbeaten and top of the First Division. They beat Bray Wanderers 2-0 in the City Calling Stadium. Michael McDonnell and Peter Hopkins got both goals in the first half.

Cabinteely have been something of a surprise package this season and are up to second. They beat Athlone Town 3-2 in Stradbrook. Shane Dunne and Kealan Dillon scored for Athlone with Keith Dalton and Rob Manley scoring for Cabinteely. Manley with two.

Galway United continue to struggle for form. They were beaten 2-1 at home by Cobh Ramblers. Cobh’s goals came from Jaze Kabia and an own goal from Maurice Nugent.


Vinny Faherty scored for Galway. It finished 1-1 in the meeting of Limerick and Wexford in the Markets Field. Darren Murphy scored for Limerick with Emmet Nugent leveling for Wexford. The only goal-less draw of the weekend was in United Park between Drogheda United and Shelbourne. It is shaping up to be a very competitive division with only five points separating the top six.