There might have been only three games played in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division but there was no shortage of goals or drama. In Oriel Park the leaders Dundalk welcomed Sligo Rovers. Both sides went in on the back of good runs, Dundalk were ten games without defeat while Rovers were unbeaten in seven.

The last side to beat Dundalk had been Rovers. There was to be no repeat as Dundalk ran out 4-0 winners. John Mountney getting a hat-trick, his first for the club and Pat Hoban with the other. Dundalk have now opened up a three points lead at the top of the table.

It was an eight goal thriller between Bohemian FC and Finn Harps in Dalymount Park with Bohs winning 5-3. Ryan Swan scored two of their goals with Kevin Devaney, Daniel Mandroiu and Keith Ward also scoring. Niall Logue, Raffaele Cretaro and Daniel O’Reilly scored for Harps who finished the game with ten men as Caolan McAleer was sent off.

The drama came in the meeting of St. Patrick’s Athletic and Cork City in Richmond Park. Cork looked to be on course for a valuable three points thanks to a second half goal from Karl Sheppard. That is until the 94th minute when Simon Madden popped up to earn a point for the home side.

Shelbourne are atop the First Division as a second half goal from Conan Byrne gave them a 1-0 win against Longford Town in Tolka Park. Drogheda United are up to second as they beat Wexford FC 2-1 in Ferrycarrig. Luke McNally and Jake Hyland were their scorers in what was their fourth win in a row.

Bray Wanderers who had been one of pre-season favourites for promotion after their relegation last season continue to suffer from inconsistency. They were beaten 1-0 in St. Colman’s Park by Cobh Ramblers. Ian Turner with the game’s only goal.

It is all happening off the pitch for the players and officials of Limerick FC with the players threatening to strike over unpaid wages and a proposed takeover in the offing as well. On the pitch they drew 1-1 with Athlone Town in the Athlone Town Stadium. Kealon Dillon gave the home side the lead with Connor Ellis levelling for Limerick.

Galway United are another side struggling for form. On Friday evening they played out a goal-less draw with Cabinteely in Eamon Deasy Park. Then yesterday afternoon they were beaten 2-1 by Longford Town in the City Calling Stadium.

Dean Byrne and Sam Verdon scored for Longford with Shane Doherty on the mark for Galway. In transfer news Derry City defender Conor McDermott has gone on loan to Cliftonville. Wexford have added to their ranks as they have brought back to the club Ricky Fox and John Peare.