SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

It was a clash of the two in-form sides in the Premier Division on Friday night as Dundalk welcomed Derry City to Oriel Park. Both sides had won their last six respective league fixtures. There proved no separating the sides as Derry twice came from behind to draw 2-2. Robbie Benson gave Dundalk the lead with Aaron McEneff equalising from the penalty spot. Michael Duffy restored Dundalk’s lead just before halftime. Eoin Toal leveled the game again two minutes into the second half. Derry finished with ten as Gavin Peers was sent off three minutes from time for a second bookable offence. That draw means that Cork City have moved level on points with their great rivals thanks to their 2-0 win against Bohemian FC in Dalymount Park. Colm Horgan and Graham Cummins scored their goals. Dundalk and Cork now both have 28 points each. Waterford FC have had a difficult couple of weeks between suspensions and defeats but got back to winning ways with a 3-0 victory against bottom side Bray Wanderers in the Regional Sports Centre. Faysel Kasmi scored both their goals with Derek Daly getting the other. Shamrock Rovers are a side badly out of form and they are now four games without a win as they drew 1-1 with Limerick FC in the Tallaght Stadium. Graham Burke gave Shamrock the lead with Danny Morrissey snatching a point for Limerick five minutes from time. Limerick saw out the closing stages with ten men as Cian Coleman saw red a couple of minutes later. Sligo Rovers and St. Patrick’s Athletic played out a goalless draw in the Showgrounds, Rovers ended with ten as David Cawley was sent off in stoppage time.

There were plenty of goals in the First Division and nowhere more so than in Ferrcarrig Park where in the clash of the bottom two sides Wexford FC beat Athlone Town 7-0. Shane Barnes scored a hat-trick with Aaron Dobbs and Dean George both getting two apiece. Athlone manager Aaron Callaghan announced after the game that he was leaving the club. That capped off a truly wretched week for Athlone who were in court earlier in the week with the owners of their stadium over unpaid rent, that case is to be heard in May. Shelbourne were impressive 2-0 winners against Galway United in Tolka Park in clash of two sides with real strong promotion ambitions. Alan Byrne and David O’Sullivan scored their goals. A goal four minutes from time from Sam Todd gave Finn Harps a 1-0 win against Cabinteely. UCD remain top as they handed Longford Town their first defeat of the season by beating them 2-0 in the City Calling Stadium. George Kelly scored both of their goals. Drogheda United are hot on their heels thanks to an impressive 5-1 win away against Cobh Ramblers in St. Colman’s Park. Mark Doyle scored two of their goals with Richie Purdy, Ciaran Kelly and Chris Lyons all getting one each. Cian Leonard scored a consolation for Cobh. And finally, it was a big week in the English Football League for two former Sligo Rovers managers. John Coleman led Accrington Stanley to promotion in League Two and Paul Cook did the same with Wigan Athletic in League One, a great achievement by both.