SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

As the SSE Airtricity League takes its mid-season break it is Cork City the reigning champions who lead the way in the Premier Division. They are a point ahead of Dundalk after they won 1-0 against Bohemian FC in Turner’s Cross. Gearoid Morrissey with the game’s only goal in the 89th minute. Cork announced before the game that right back Tobi Adebayo-Rowling had signed for Conference side Bromley Town. He had only made one appearance this season.

The Lillywhites kept the pressure on thanks to their 4-0 win over Derry City in the Brandywell. Robbie Benson, Dylan Connolly, Pat Hoban and Michael Duffy scored their goals. Despite being held to a goal-less draw by Bray Wanderers in the Carlisle Grounds Waterford FC remain in third place.

Shamrock Rovers are on the fringes of the race for Europe as they beat Limerick FC 2-0 in the Markets Field. Joel Coustrain and Graham Burke with the goals. That was Burke’s last goal for the club as he has signed for Preston North End for a deal rumoured to be in the region of £300,000.

Sligo Rovers are up to 7th as they recorded their first win in Dublin for over two and a half years when they triumphed 3-0 against St. Patrick’s Athletic in Richmond Park. Their goals coming from Patrick McClean, Alistair Roy and Jack Keaney. Rovers had a busy week off the pitch as they announced the signing of former Aston Villa and Shamrock Rovers striker Mikey Drennan and that goal-keeper Mitchell Beeney has signed for the club. Beeney is currently on loan from Chelsea but his contract expires come the end of the month and he will become a Rovers player then. One player leaving is Eduardo Pinceli the Brazilian midfielder is expected to return to Cyprus where he has spent the majority of his career.

In the First Division it is UCD who are top of the pile. They were 3-1 winners against Finn Harps in Finn Park. Daire O’Connor scored two of their goals with George Kelly getting the other. Mikey Place scored for Harps who finished the game in dramatic fashion with Jesse Devers missing a penalty in the 84th minute before Ciaran O’Connor was sent off in the 88th minute.

Drogheda United are still second even though there were beaten 1-0 by Longford Town. Sam Verdon with the game’s only goal. Shelbourne are third as they picked up a point in their encounter with Cabinteely which finished 0-0 in Tolka Park.

It also finished goal-less in the meeting of Galway United and Wexford FC which was played in Ferrycarrig. Cobh Ramblers toiled to a 1-0 victory over bottom side Athlone Town with Ian Mylod getting the game’s only goal in the 72nd minute. For Athlone it is going to be another season of struggle, they revealed that ten players have left the club but are expected to make some signings in the coming weeks.