SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

What was known was confirmed over the weekend as Dundalk wrapped up the Premier Division title as they played out a 1-1 draw with St. Patrick’s Athletic in Oriel Park. It looked as if their coronation would be delayed for another week when Conor Clifford, who used to play with Dundalk gave St. Pat’s the lead in the 52nd-minute. As has happened so often this season, Patrick Hoban popped up to score in the 90th-minute, which was his 26th goal of the season. So, the Town have won their fourth league title in five years under Stephen Kenny and it is the 13th title in their history. As it happened, they would have won the title regardless of that goal from Hoban as defending champions Cork City played out a goalless draw with Shamrock Rovers in the Tallaght Stadium. That draw has opened the door for Waterford FC in the race for third place. They travelled to Dalymount Park to take on the form side in the country Bohemian FC and beat them 3-1 thanks to goals from Sander Puri, Stanley Aborah and Noel Hunt. Cristian Magerusan scored for Bohs. They are now level on points with Shamrock, who have a superior goal difference.

Limerick FC, who are gearing themselves for the promotion/relegation play-offs, came out the wrong end of a 1-0 defeat against Derry City in the Markets Field, Rory Hale with the game’s only goal. The division’s remaining game saw bottom side Bray Wanderers travel to the Showgrounds to take on Sligo Rovers. Bray hadn’t won away from home all season, while Rovers had only won twice at home and their last win was against Bray back in April. Something had to give and it did with Rovers winning 2-1. Caolan McAleer gave them the lead with Jake Ellis levelling soon after. Mikey Drennan scored the winner in a game which was used to mark the club’s 90th birthday. The play-off process in the First Division got underway over the weekend with Drogheda United welcoming Shelbourne to United Park. Shels won 1-0 with James English getting the only goal of the game in the 25th-minute. The second leg is tonight in Tolka Park. The winner of this tie will then take on Finn Harps, who kept themselves busy with a friendly against the Irish Defence Force. The winner of the game will play Limerick. There is another big game tonight as Bohs will take on Cork in the replay of the FAI Cup semi-final. The winner will take on Dundalk in the final.