There was little doubt what the big game of the weekend was in the SSE Airtricity League as the top two in the Premier Division clashed in Oriel Park with second place side Dundalk hosting first place and current champions Cork City. It was the home side who beat their great rivals for the second time this season as they won 2-1. Hungarian midfielder Krisztian Adorjan gave them the lead in the opening minutes of the second half with Cork levelling through Josh O’Hanlon. It looked as if both sides would have to settle for a point until Michael Duffy crossed from the left in stoppage time and the ball was put into his own net by Cork defender Sean McLoughlin.

Dundalk have now reclaimed top spot and lead Cork by two points. Waterford FC remain third as they edged out Sligo Rovers 3-2 in the Showgrounds. Goals from first Stanley Aborah and then John Martin had them two up with Rovers getting back on even terms thanks to goals from Adam Wixted and Seamus Sharkey. Waterford though claimed the three points through a goal from Bastien Hery three minutes after Rovers had scored their second.

Shamrock Rovers have strengthened their grip on 4th place as they beat Derry City 2-0 in the Tallaght Stadium. Daniel Carr and Joel Coustrain with their goals. St. Patrick’s Athletic remain a side badly out of form as they suffered their sixth league defeat in a row. This time they were beaten 1-0 by Bohemian FC in Dalymount Park. Kevin Devaney scored the game’s only goal and it was a peach as he shot home from about 35 yards out. The remaining fixture was a huge one in terms of the relegation battle as second from bottom Limerick FC welcomed bottom side Bray Wanderers to the Markets Field. Neither side had the best of preparations with Limerick announcing before the game that they had agreed mutual terminations with four of their players as they looked to cut costs. Departing are Conor Clifford, Henry Cameron, Daniel Kearns and Mark O’Sullivan. Bray’s players didn’t receive their wages and have been told that they will get paid this week. Limerick won 2-1 with Cian Coleman getting their opener and their second was an own goal from Sean Heaney. Ronan Coughlan scored in-between for Bray. Limerick announced the day after the game that their goal-keeper Brendan Clarke had also agreed a deal to leave the club.

Huge win for Longford Town in the First Division as they beat the league leaders UCD 5-1 in the Belfield Bowl. Dylan McGlade scored two with Daniel O’Reilly, Shane Elworthy and Sam Verdon getting their others. Jason McCelland scored for the home side. That means that Longford remain in 4th but are now only six points behind the league leaders. UCD’s overall lead is now down to four points after wins for both Drogheda United and Shelbourne. Drogheda beat Cobh Ramblers 2-1 in United Park with Shels winning 2-1 away against Galway United in Eamon Deasy Park. Finn Harps won 1-0 against Cabinteely FC in Stradbrook and in a clash of the bottom two Wexford FC won 1-0 against Athlone Town who are closing in on the league’s all-time record of games without a win.

Previous round here