It was another busy week and weekend of action in the SSE Airtricity League with plenty happening on and off the pitch.

Leaders Dundalk got the weekend off to an explosive start as they announced on Monday that they had once again signed Patrick McEleney. The Derry native returns after a short spell with Oldham Athletic. They also signed striker Georgie Kelly from UCD, Kelly was the top scorer in the First Division up to the point of his departure.

On the pitch they now have a four point lead over Cork City at the top of the Premier Division. They came from behind to beat St. Patrick’s Athletic 3-1 in Richmond Park. Jake Keegan had given the home side the lead but Dundalk got the points thanks to two goals from Pat Hoban sandwiched either side of a goal from Chris Shields. Dundalk have now won ten league games in a row while St. Pat’s have lost their last six.

Cork lost ground as they drew 0-0 in Turner’s Cross with Shamrock Rovers. Kieran Sadlier missed a penalty for Cork in the 61st minute, his effort was saved by Shamrock’s 16 year old goal keeper Gavin Bazunu who has now kept four clean sheets in a row.

Waterford FC missed out on the chance to gain ground on the top two as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Bohemian FC in the Regional Sports Centre. Dinny Corcoran gave Bohs the lead with Bastien Hery leveling for the home side.

Limerick remain mired in the relegation battle as they lost 2-1 against Derry City in the Brandywell.

Connor Ellis gave them the lead but Derry came back to win thanks to goals from first Aaron Spillane and then debutante Alistair Roy. Roy had been on loan with Sligo Rovers but had just returned to his parent club Hearts before signing a permanent deal with Derry.

Bottom side Bray Wanderers were in the news all week after they revealed that their whole squad was available for transfer as they hadn’t been paid. They also didn’t train and three players have already left including Aaron Green who has signed for Shamrock who also signed former Leicester winger Dylan Watts. He had been on loan with Bohemian FC up until his contract with the English Premier League side expired at the end of June.

Anyways back to Bray on Sunday afternoon they played host to Sligo Rovers and despite all the turmoil they won 2-1. Ger Pender and Sean Heaney with the goals. Adam Wixted scored for Sligo.

In the First Division, UCD continue to lead but in their first game since the departure of top scorer Geogie Kelly they drew 1-1 with second place side Shelbourne FC in the Belfield Bowl.

Drogheda United missed out on the chance to gain ground on the top two as they were beaten 1-0 in United Park by Finn Harps. Longford Town were another side who missed out on the opportunity to claw back points on the leaders as they were beaten 2-1 at home by Cobh Ramblers.

Wexford FC won 2-1 away to Cabinteely in Stradbrook while Galway United had a comfortable 4-1 victory over bottom side Athlone Town in Eamon Deasy Park. Staying with Athlone and they finally have a win on the board! Last week they were beaten 1-0 by Wexford but the men from the South East were found to have played an illegal player and as such Athlone were awarded the three points giving their long suffering supporters something to cheer about.

Here’s how things went in the previous round.