Dundalk started the week as the leaders in the Premier Division and, despite being overtaken briefly by Cork City, they still ended the week back on top. They had a busy spell as on Thursday they welcomed Cypriot side AEK Larnaca to Oriel Park, in the second qualifying round of the Europa League. That game ended in a goalless draw.

On Friday night, Cork City took advantage of their opportunity to go back to the top as they beat Bray Wanderers 3-1 in the Carlisle Grounds. Karl Sheppard scored two of their goals with Garry Buckley getting the other. Gary McCabe scored for the home side, who had some good news off the pitch as the club has a new owner that has made assurances to the squad that they will receive their wages without fail going forward. Dundalk were in action again on Sunday evening as they faced Bohemian FC and won 2-0 to leapfrog Cork. Sean Hoare and Patrick Hoban got their goals.

There was plenty of drama and incident in the meeting of Derry City and St. Patrick’s Athletic in the Brandywell. As the game headed for the 84th minute, the sides were level at 1-1. Alistair Roy scored for Derry and Ryan Brennan equalised for St. Pat’s. Killian Brennan then missed a penalty for St. Pat’s with Derry getting what would prove to be the winner in the 88th minute through Rory Patterson. The drama wasn’t over yet as three players saw red in stoppage time. Eoin Toal for Derry, Ian Bermingham and Thomas Byrne for St. Pat’s.

There were two red cards in the Markets Field in the Munster Derby between Limerick and Waterford. Eoin Wearen was sent off after two minutes, in an incident which led to a penalty for Waterford which was missed by Paul Keegan. David Webster got his marching orders just before half-time for Waterford. Billy Dennehy and Shane Duggan scored for Limerick with Bastien Hery replying for Limerick. That win means that Limerick are now only two points behind Sligo Rovers who were beaten 2-0 in the Tallaght Stadium by Shamrock Rovers. Dylan Watts and Gary Shaw with their goals.

In the First Division UCD toiled to a 1-0 win against Athlone Town which keeps them top of the pile and Athlone bottom. It was a good weekend for the Students as their closest rivals Drogheda United were held to a goalless draw by Wexford FC in Ferrycarrig. UCD now have a seven-point lead. Finn Harps are up to third thanks to their 1-0 win away against Cobh Ramblers in St. Colman’s Park. Thanks to their 3-2 win against Cabinteely in Eamon Deasy Park Galway United are up to 5th. Shelbourne are still in 4th in the last play-off position, they ran out 6-1 winners over Longford Town in Tolka Park.

You can catch up on last weeks action here and the week before that here.