SSE Airtricity League Wrap-Up Top Flight Games Produce Top Drama

SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

There was a full programme of games on Monday evening in the Premier Division with notable results at both ends of the table. The headline grabbing result was Shamrock Rovers 3-0 win against reigning champions Cork City in the Tallaght Stadium. Shamrock hadn’t won in six games and Cork were coming into the game off the back of a big win against their great rivals Dundalk. They never got a chance to get into the game as they were two down inside the opening half an hour. Graham Burke gave them lead after only three minutes with Ethan Boyle making to two in the 25th minute. Roberto Lopes then wrapped up the scoring when he got the third just after the hour mark. That win eases the pressure on Shamrock manager Stephen Bradley who was in bullish form after the game referring to his side as the ‘biggest team in the country’. Traditionally yes that was the case but not so much in recent years. Anyhow Dundalk capitalised on that defeat for Cork as they beat St. Patrick’s Athletic 5-0 in Oriel Park to go top on goal difference. Pat Hoban scored their first two with Ronan Murray, John Mountney and Jamie McGrath getting the other goals. Waterford FC remain third as they got back to winning ways against Bohemian FC in Dalymount Park. They won 1-0 thanks to a goal from former Ireland U-21 international Courtney Duffus. Bohemian manager Keith Long was sent to the stands in the second half as he continually protested calls that went against his side.

With Dundalk and Waterford both winning it adds some extra spice to their game this coming Friday night in the Regional Sports Centre. Limerick FC continue to struggle as they were beaten 3-0 by the in form Derry City in the Markets Field. Aaron McEneff scored two with Rory Patterson getting the other as Derry stretched their unbeaten run to 11 games. They have to be considered as a dark horse in the race for the title. The remaining game was an important one in terms of the battle to avoid the drop. Sligo Rovers played host to bottom side Bray Wanderers in the Showgrounds. It was the home side who picked up the win as they won 2-1 and that result takes them up to 7th in the table. Jack Keaney gave them the lead with his first goal for the club and Eduardo Pinceli got the second. Corey Galvin pulled a goal back for Bray but Rovers held on what was just their second home win of the season. They will be back in action in the Showgrounds this coming Saturday night as they get set to welcome Bohemian FC.