SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

UCD are back in the top flight as a 1-1 draw with Finn Harps in the Belfield Bowl gave them the point they needed to be crowned First Division champions and claim promotion to the Premier. Keith Cowan had given Harps the lead in the 80th minute but a goal from Conor Davis two minutes later levelled matters. The former Reading youngster has been a revelation for the University side since he signed for the club last month. So Colin O’Neill and his charges can now start planning for next season. Harps will now go into the playoffs and joining them are Shelbourne.

They drew 1-1 with Cabinteely in Stradbrook. Dean Casey scoring for the home side and John Ross Wilson was on the mark for Shels. Drogheda United looked primed to secure the final spot as they beat the other side looking for that final spot Longford Town 2-1 in United Park thanks to two goals from Gareth McCaffrey. Dean Dillon scored for Longford. So going into the last round of games Drogheda are two points ahead of Longford.

In the division’s remaining game Galway United and Wexford FC drew 1-1 in Eamon Deasy Park. Carlton Ubaezuonu for Galway and Dean George for Wexford. Wexford finished with ten as Paddy Cahill was sent off in the 86th minute.

So with one league winner decided it is looking very likely that Dundalk will win the Premier and they weren’t even in action over the weekend. Reigning champions Cork City who are currently six points behind the Lillywhites had a chance to close that gap as they travelled to Dalymount Park to take on Bohemian FC. They lost 4-2 on a night when nothing went their way. An own goal from Damien Delaney gave the home side the lead with Daniel Kelly then scoring two and Derek Pender the fourth. Graham Cummins and Jimmy Keohane scored for Cork.

Shamrock Rovers remain in third as they routed Limerick FC 5-0 in the Tallaght Stadium. Ronan Finn scored two with Roberto Lopes, Greg Bolger and Dylan Watts getting a goal each. Goals from Estonian international Sander Puri and former Republic of Ireland international Noel Hunt gave Waterford FC a 2-1 win against Bray Wanderers. St. Patrick’s Athletic won 2-1 away against Sligo Rovers in the Showgrounds. Jake Keegan gave St Partick’s the lead with David Cawley getting Rovers back on level terms. The winner came from the penalty spot and was scored by St. Pat’s keeper Brendan Clarke who made no mistake as he sent Mitchell Beeney the wrong way.

Staying with Rovers and they have been drawn away to Motherwell Colts in the third round of the Irn Bru Cup, that game will be played in Fir Park on Saturday October 13th. And I will be there as it’s a chance to have an away trip seeing as Rovers won’t be playing in Europe next season! Bohs have been drawn at home to Sutton United and that game will also be played on the 13th in Dalymount Park.

So UCD winning the First Division wasn’t the only silverware that was decided over the weekend as the final was played in the EA Sports Cup. Premier Division side Derry City played host to First Division outfit Cobh Ramblers in the Brandywell. Derry won 3-1 as Kenny Shiels has now won the League Cup in both Ireland and Scotland. He won the League Cup in 2012 with Kilmarnock. Ronan Hale, Darren Cole and Aaron McEneff scored for Derry with McEneff’s being a penalty. Chris Hull scored for Cobh.