SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

It was a tough week for Cork City as the reigning Premier Division champions were knocked out of Europe following their 3-0 defeat away against Rosenborg. It was an aggregate 5-0 win for the Norwegian side. Then they relinquished top spot to Dundalk as they were held to a 1-1 draw by St. Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park. Dean Clarke had given St. Pat’s the lead with John O’Hanlon getting a late equaliser for John Caulfield’s side. Dundalk won 3-1 away to bottom side Bray Wanderers in the Carlisle Grounds. Patrick Hoban, Robbie Benson and Dylan Connolly with their goals. Jake Kelly scored for the home side. Dundalk are top thanks to their superior goal difference but they do have two games in hand. Twenty points behind the top two are third place side Waterford FC who also won on the road beating Derry City 2-1 in the Brandywell. Dessie Hutchinson and Gavan Holohan with their goals while Dean Shiels scored for Derry. Speaking of Derry following on from their EA Sports Cup semi-final win against Sligo Rovers they won the coin toss during the week to host the final which will be against Cobh Ramblers on Saturday 16th September. It’s seen as the fairest way to decide the venue but personally, I would have loved to have seen the final being played in Cobh as it would give the club a huge boost given that they are often in the shadow of their more illustrious neighbours – Cork City.

Shamrock Rovers remain in 4th despite their 1-0 home defeat against Bohemian FC in the Dublin Derby. Eoghan Stokes with the game’s only goal. Following on from their defeats last week against Derry in the EA Sports Cup and Longford Town in the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup the players of Sligo Rovers had a meeting and decided to donate a portion of their wages back to the club in recognition of the disappointment of the results. It is somewhat unprecedented but was appreciated by club officials and supporters. They gave them something to cheer about on the pitch as well as they won 3-1 away against Limerick FC in the Markets Field. Mikey Drennan with the first two and Raffaele Cretaro with the third. Shane Duggan got a goal back for Limerick.

The draw was made during the week for the second round of the Irn Bru Scottish Challenge Cup and the SSE Airtricity League has two teams taking part. Bohemian FC will be away to Peterhead while Sligo Rovers have been drawn at home to either Forfar Athletic or Livingston U-20’s. In the First Division UCD must wait another week for the chance to be crowned champions after they drew 2-2 with Cobh Ramblers in St. Colman’s Park. Finn Harps remain in second thanks to their 3-1 win away to Athlone Town who have now gone 18 months without winning a game of football. Shelbourne are third and they won 2-1 away to Wexford FC. Longford Town are back in the hunt for a playoff position as they went to Eamon Deasy Park and beat Galway United 4-1. Cabinteely FC and Drogheda United drew 2-2 in the division’s remaining fixture.