Another week of action in the SSE Airtricity League and in keeping with the theme of the season the lead at the top of the Premier Division continues to alternate between Cork City and Dundalk. This week it was Dundalk who hit the top spot as they beat Sligo Rovers while Cork and third place side Waterford FC drew their respective fixtures against Derry City and Shamrock Rovers respectively. Dundalk were pushed all the way in their 2-1 win against a dogged Sligo Rovers side in Oriel Park. They opened the scoring through a penalty from Pat Hoban with Rovers equalising from a penalty of their own. Rhys McCabe the scorer. Hoban then scored the winner two minutes from time. Cork played out a goal-less draw with Derry City in the Brandywell. That means that Derry are still unbeaten on their return to their home ground since it was redeveloped. Waterford drew 1-1 with Shamrock Rovers in the Tallaght Stadium. Gavan Holahan put them ahead with Graham Burke earning a point from Shamrock. That capped off a memorable week for Burke who was called up to the Irish International squad for the friendly games against Celtic and the US. Little change at the bottom of the table as Limerick remain in the play-off position after they were beaten 1-0 at home in the Markets Field by St. Patrick’s Athletic. Ryan Brennan with the game’s only goal. Bray Wanderers are still bottom after they were beaten 3-1 in the Carlisle Grounds by Bohemian FC. Dinny Corcoran, Keith Ward and Eoghan Stokes scored for Bohs with Gary McCabe pulling one back for Bray.

Despite being beaten 2-0 in Eamon Deacy Park by Galway United, UCD remain atop the First Division table. Eoin McCormack and Ryan Connolly scored their goals. Drogheda United are second after they won 1-0 away against Athlone Town. Chris Lyons with the winner and that result means that Athlone have now gone over a full calendar year without a league win. Shelbourne and Finn Harps drew 0-0 in Tolka Park. Longford Town remain on the fringes of the promotion race as they beat Wexford FC 2-0 in Ferrycarrig. Jamie Hollywood and Chris Mulhall with their goals. Cobh Ramblers recorded their first home win of the season as they beat Cabinteely 1-0 in St. Colman’s Park. Cian Leonard scoring what would prove to be the winner after five minutes. Staying with Cobh and the draw was made for the semi-finals of the EA Sports Cup. They have been drawn at home to Dundalk and the other semi-final will see Sligo Rovers take on Derry City. Both of those games will be played on the 6th August.