SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

There were four games played in the Premier Division over Monday and Tuesday night and as a result the fact that the race for the title is once again just a two horse race has been further consolidated. Third place side Waterford FC are now five points adrift of second place side and defending champions Cork City and seven behind current leaders Dundalk. The Lillywhites were runners-up last season having won the league for the previous three years preceding that. Dundalk faced Waterford on Monday night in Oriel Park and won 2-0 thanks to goals from Robbie Benson and Marco Tagbajumi.

The big news came before the game as Waterford were refused permission by Oldham Athletic to play Courtney Duffus in the game. Duffus is the top scorer for the Blues and is on loan from the Lactics. They didn’t want him playing on the artificial pitch in Oriel in case he picked up an injury. Cork who have a game in hand on Dundalk were also 2-0 winners. They were away to their Munster rivals Limerick FC and have Garry Buckley to thank for both of their goals. Both goals coming in the second half.

After conceding nine goals in their previous two games against Dundalk and St. Patrick’s Athletic, Derry City got back to winning ways as they beat bottom side Bray Wanderers 2-0 in the Brandywell. Aaron McEneff with both of their goals, the first of which was a penalty. After the game it was confirmed that Derry’s striker Ronan Curtis had signed a two year with English League One side Portsmouth. He will join when the transfer window opens on June 9th and Derry will receive an undisclosed fee.

Shamrock Rovers won their first Dublin Derby of the season as they beat St. Patrick’s Athletic 3-0 in the Tallaght Stadium. Lee Grace, Ronan Finn and Sam Bone with the goals. In a boost for the league two players have been called up to Martin O’Neill’s Ireland squad for the friendly games at the end of the month against France and US. Shamrock Rovers striker Graham Burke came on for Ireland in the 2-2 draw with Celtic on Sunday in Scott Brown’s testimonial. As it wasn’t a full international he doesn’t get a cap but has retained his place in the squad. Joining him is Bohemian FC goalkeeper Shane Supple. Supple had previously been with Ipswich but retired aged just 22 in 2009 in order to come back to Ireland to play Gaelic football. He signed for Bohs halfway through the 2016 season and recently signed a two year extension to his contract.