SSE Airtricity League Gameweek Two Roundup

Waterford FC signalled their title intentions as they defeated Dundalk 2-1 in the Regional Sports Centre. This was just Dundalk’s second defeat of the season and all three goals came in first half injury time. Ishmail Akinade scored both goals for Waterford to give the home side a 2-0 lead with Ronan Murray then pulling a goal back for the visitors. The lengthy injury time – nine minutes in total – came as a result of an injury to Dundalk’s Stephen O’Donnell who could now be set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines after Dundalk confirmed that he had broken his leg.

That win for Waterford gave Cork City the chance to go back on top and the duly capitalised beating their Munster rivals 2-1 in Turner’s Cross. They had it tough though as they were reduced to ten after only ten minutes when Karl Sheppard was sent off. Danny Morrissey gave Limerick the lead after the half hour mark but goals from Graham Cummins and Josh O’Hanlon gave Cork the win. Cork had to move the game from their usual Friday evening kick-off to Saturday afternoon so as to avoid clashing with Ed Sheeran’s concerts as he was playing three nights in the city. They did invite him to the game but he didn’t attend!

The stop start nature of Shamrock Rovers season continued as they were beaten 2-0 in Richmond Park by St. Patrick’s Athletic. Ian Bermingham and Killian Brennan got the goals as Shamrock played out most of the game with ten men. Former Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United player Joey O’Brien was sent off in the 40th minute.

Bray Wanderers look to have finally turned a corner, they won their second game of the season beating the in form Derry City 2-1 in the Carlisle Grounds. Ronan Coughlan scored both goals with Nicky Low on the mark for Derry. Two goals from Daniel Grant gave Bohemian FC a 2-0 win away against Sligo Rovers in the Showgrounds. That was Rovers sixth home league defeat of the season.

UCD remain atop the First Division despite drawing 1-1 with Shelbourne FC in Tolka Park. James English gave Shels the lead with Gary O’Neill equalising for UCD in the 90th minute. The game had a dramatic finish as UCD’s top scorer George Kelly who is being strongly linked with Summer move to Dundalk was sent off four minutes into stoppage time.

Drogheda United remain second even though they were beaten 2-1 in Finn Park by Finn Harps who are starting to find their feet following on from their relegation last season. Sean Brennan scored for Drogheda with Keith Cowan and Ciaran O’Connor on the mark for Harps.

Galway United are up to third thanks to their 3-0 win away against Athlone Town. Eoin McCormack, Marc Ludden and Stephen Kenny with their goals. As for Athlone well they just can’t keep out of the news. It was confirmed by the club during the week that they had parted company with their manager Aaron Callaghan. A day after this was announced the FAI issued a statement saying that he had received a six month total ban from all football activities for breaching FAI rules. No word on who is going to replace him.

A goal from Conor Keeley gave Cabinteely a 1-0 win away against Wexford FC. Wexford finished the game with ten with Ross Kenny being given his marching orders five minutes from time.

Longford Town bounced back from their defeat last week against Finn Harps as they won 1-0 down in St. Colman’s Park against Cobh Ramblers. Sam Verdon with the games only goal.